Wynn Resorts is opposed to the possible opening of a slots parlor in north Boston suburb of Revere, Massachusetts, which is just 3 miles from the under construction Wynn Boston Harbor development (previously called Wynn Everett casino) scheduled to open in 2019. It should come as no suprise the casino mogul, Steve Wynn, is not happy about it. The Suffolk Downs racetrack partnered with Mohegan Sun for its proposal, which if it goes ahead will be the second slots parlor in the State of Massachusetts.
According to a report from The Boston Globe, businessman and developer Eugene McCain has launched an aggressive effort to develop a slots-only gaming venue in Revere pending a successful November ballot referendum, which is now before the voters as Question One. McCain was successful in his quest to have the issue placed before voters and supporters have collected enough signatures for a local vote scheduled for October 18.
“It’s Not Fair,” Says DeSalvio
In 2011, new legislation in Massachusetts was passed that would allow for up to 3 resort-style casinos and a slots parlor to the State. “It’s not fair to Wynn Resorts,” Robert DeSalvio from Las Vegas-based Wynn Resorts Limited told the media. “We came into Massachusetts understanding there would be three casinos and one slots parlor under state law, not three casinos and two slots parlors.” A slots parlor already exists in Plainville, which is near Rhode Island in the south west of Boston.
Other Opponents Rail Against Revere Slots Parlor Proposal
Even though DeSalvio declined to answer whether or not Wynn Resorts would be financing opposition to the November ballot, he did say that the company had already spent $300 million on the new Wynn Boston Harbor site.
Question One is also facing opposition from a likely source, Massachusetts House Speaker Robert DeLeo, who was one of the primary architects of the 2011 casino bill.
It is also being challenged by local mayor Brian Arrigo, as the slots parlor would be in his district. The politician is wanting to attract different development proposals for the planned slots parlor location and said it would cost the city up to $50,000 to hold a plebiscite.